Age spots can be a concern for many people, especially those looking to maintain even, healthy skin. These spots can be caused by several factors, including sun exposure, age, hormones, and family history. Here are some tips to avoid having pigment spots on the face.
- Use a mineral sunscreen with a high SPF. Sun exposure is one of the main causes of pigment spots on the face. To avoid having it, it is important to use sunscreen every day, even on cloudy days (every day without exception!). PRO TIP : If you're not a fan of mineral sunscreen (thicker texture) use it on the area to be protected and not the whole face, followed by a chemical sunscreen for the rest of the face. For example: I use salt and stone's mineral sunscreen on my mustache (upper lip) as well as on my cheekbones and for the rest of my face I use Coola's chemical sunscreen to still protect my face .
- Avoid prolonged sunbathing. They can damage the skin and promote the appearance of pigment spots on the face. It is therefore important to avoid prolonged exposure to UV rays, especially during the hottest hours of the day.
- (Well this trick is less elegant even however important): Wear a hat and sunglasses. In addition to sunscreen, it is also important to wear a hat and sunglasses to protect your face from the rays. Hats with wide brims can help protect the face, neck and ears, while sunglasses provide protection around the eye area.
- Avoid irritating skin care products. They can irritate the skin and promote the appearance of pigment spots. Avoid products with irritating ingredients, such as alcohol and fragrances, and opt for gentle, non-irritating products instead.
- Treat existing pigment spots because if you already have some on your face, it is important to treat them quickly to prevent them from getting worse. Common treatments for dark spots include lightening creams/serums ( Retinol - Vitamin C ) chemical peels, lasers and microdermabrasion. Consult a dermatologist to determine the best treatment for your skin.
- Following a healthy and balanced diet can help prevent pigment spots on the face (yes yes!). Foods rich in antioxidants, such as fruits and vegetables, can help protect the skin against free radical damage. Also avoid foods high in sugar and fat, as these can cause inflammation and promote the appearance of age spots!
In conclusion, it is possible to avoid the appearance of pigment spots on the face by taking care of your skin and avoiding prolonged exposure to the sun. Use a high SPF sunscreen EVERY DAY, wear a hat and your glasses as often as possible and you will see a big difference.
Take care beautiful xx